Skip to main content

Inspired

I feel inspired, and therefore I write.

I used to write a lot in high school, but the demands and rigour of university took the passion and desire to do so away from me.  Starting this blog has renewed the spirit in me to write.

Today I am inspired in a different way.  It began with Ron Clark, the principal at Rundle College Elementary.  He gave a great presentation on connectedness.  He spoke about many things that we already do here at Rundle College.  What I love about this institution is that we do connect with students, staff and families.  I have built so many valuable relationships with not only my students, but their parents and their siblings over the 7 years I have been at Rundle.  It is truly an amazing community that I work in.  Ron touched on the fact that the connectedness starts with a phone call to the school - a school where a real person actually answers the phone.  We, as teachers, continue this connectivity with relationship building internally, but what I loved that he talked about was the external connectivity we have.  We do.  We work on that all the time without realizing it.  The question he posed was, "What is it that people are saying about Rundle College at their dinner parties?".  I can tell you that I have experienced this dinner party conversation, but I have been the promoter.  I love this school that I work at, and I believe that if my children want to go here, they shall and have the BEST education possible.  This leads me to what else I am inspired by...

My colleagues inspire me.  I work with so many extremely talented people.  I am not a science person, and I certainly didn't do well in physics in high school, but listening to Alana and Aaron talk today (two of my science-minded colleagues), I was inspired.  They took units in their disciplines and leaped BIG by trying inquiry learning.  They had success and to hear them talk about the experiences they had inspired me to take a leap.  I now have another goal for the year.

Finally today, I was inspired by our new headmaster, Jason Rogers.  This guy is simply amazing.  When I met him a few years back I knew he was a great guy, but I think he is going to take Rundle to higher places and let me tell you - we are soaring right now!  Jason has talked about creativity, trust, and kindness.  He has asked us as a staff to be "kinder than necessary", and he has expressed how we connect and should continue to.  I am excited to begin my school year because I know I have great leadership in this school.

I am inspired...in so many ways.  Thank you to everyone I work with, as you are part of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Tor16 - Google Innovator Academy BOUND!

So this summer I had a goal.  I was going to apply to the Google Innovator Academy by the end of August.  As the deadline of August 30th got nearer, I still had one task to do to ensure I could apply - pass my Level 2 Google Educator test.

I scheduled my test for a cooler day on the weekend, so that I wouldn't miss out on any nice summer weather.  The day came and I had my husband take my kids out of the house so I could have peace and quiet in order to focus on my test.  He got them out for a solid 3 hours, perhaps it was even longer.  I was so nervous because I had taken the test blindly almost  a year ago, and didn't pass.  I then took it again this spring, but didn't pass - I scored a 78%.  Needing an 80% to pass, I knew I could do it, but got gun shy so put it off again.

Knowing the Innovator application deadline was at the end of August, it had to be done.  So there I sat alone in my home with my two laptops.  The test seemed to be going well.  When it came time to s…

Las Vegas Summit 2017

I just got back from another incredible Summit by the EdTechTeam.  I consider myself quite fortunate, and I am ever so grateful each time I get to work with the team of educators that +Michelle Armstrong brings in to work with her at these summits.  Michelle is the ultimate leader who has a penchant for making her team feel united, empowered, and awesome.  You just want to work hard for this woman and help her to produce the BEST SUMMIT EVER.  This time I presented 3 sessions, and the closing keynote.  My entire weekend was so amazing, but I have to say, I was consumed with thoughts of my keynote speech, so much so that my sessions may have suffered.  I apologize to all my attendees for that.  I do love what I do, but being a keynote in Vegas had me bound by thoughts of that final half hour.  Once it was over though, I was on that high of, "I just did that.  I did it.  I. DID. IT."  Version 2 was alright, and I know I have tons of room to grow, but I know I will gain valuabl…

On Becoming A Google Certified Trainer

This week a goal that I have been working towards for a few years now became a reality.  I was accepted into the Google for Education Certified Trainer's community.
Since I discovered and began using GSuite, I have been a huge believer in how they can change the landscape of teaching and a person's classroom.  It has certainly changed the way I teach, and it has changed the learning that takes place in my classroom.  In addition to improving the learning, my student's have empowered themselves through the massive organization that Google Drive and Google Classroom has allowed them to have.  Like I said, I am a HUGE believer in the products.
Not many people understand what it means to get certified by Google for Education.  I know that when I began getting certified and passing exams, nobody around me at work truly "got it".  "Oh, that's great!" they would say, but not truly understanding what a personal achievement it was for me.
When I was accepted…