#RundleCares and shares #NaacoLove to #YMM

As I settle into my desk at the end of another school day, I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the huge, daunting task that lay before me.

MARKING WRITTEN FINALS

Today was the day that all grade 7, 8 and 9 students complete part A of their English Language Arts final - the written portion.  Now, as their trusty teacher, it is my task to read all 84 paragraphs and 28 essays and/or narrative stories.  I.  Can't.  Wait.

Actually, sometimes it is fun to do, as the grade 7 prompts are interesting and lend themselves to some fun reads.  Right now, the entire reason why I choose to procrastinate is that I have my mind on several other things, including the Fort McMurray wildfires.

Last week's fire, or as the media is calling it, "the beast", tore through and burnt down the old neighborhood where my husband and I used to live, and where I started my teaching career.  The destruction that we see all over the media is emotionally taxing, as in the evenings my husband and I reflect and are nostalgic about our time in Fort Mac.  

I couldn't sit idly by and watch the news.  I needed to support.  I wanted to do more than just text FIRES to 45678.  When I heard that Ambrose, our neighbors to the south of Rundle, were housing evacuees from Fort McMurray, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to help out and for Rundle to show support.

After an email with my thought, and a few hours of planning later, we are set to show our support.  Thursday, May 12 is our Rugby Homecoming game.  Several alumni will be here, along with many members of our Rundle Community, so what better time to make a difference?  We have invited evacuees to the game and together with @eatNaaco and Ambrose University College, we will provide the evacuees with a night of fun, a meal of delicious #naacolove and a few supplies of clothing and toiletries to take back to Ambrose with them.

I am so grateful to my colleagues for their show of support in this endeavor.  It is a big one, but so many people will benefit from it.  I hope many sign up to come, and I hope they have a good time.

So, now as I settle back into my marking, I can think "hopefully" about Thursday night and know that together with our Rundle community, we will make a difference.  We will show #RundleCares, and we will spread some #naacoLove!

Comments

  1. I am so proud of your efforts in making a difference to the evacuees! You have a heart of gold and I know it will all turn out. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#Tor16 - Google Innovator Academy BOUND!

Las Vegas Summit 2017

Google Innovator Academy - I Found My Tribe