What's in a Name or a Title?

My name is Charity.  Quite often when I tell people my name, they make some remark about how lovely a name it is, or how much they like it.  I like it too - it's a great name and I am very proud of it.  My dad named me, or so the story goes, as he liked the name and decided I should be a Charity.  When I give my name at a Starbucks, or over the phone, they never get it right, so my "go to" has been to say, "like the foundation."  Charity is my name - is it my identity too?

Labels, names, titles - they all serve to create an identity for us.  Who am I?  I am more than a name, however nice it may be.  I am so many amazing adjectives, definitive adverbs, and incredible abstract nouns.  Sometimes the things that we truly are may not even be a part of what title, name or label is assigned to us.

Breaking our own mould and becoming who we want to be is something that takes perseverance, guts and a whole lot of time and effort.  Yes, I am a mother, wife, sister, daughter, teacher, friend, but I embrace more in my life.  I am an innovator, a creator, an integrator, a trainer, and these are all descriptors I have worked hard to be able to define myself with, but my email signature doesn't say this.  I broke the mould and decided to define myself in so many other ways.  We all should try to do this.  How can you define yourself and break the mould of how others see you?  Who is behind the title, the name, the email signature?  What is not being said in those descriptors?  That is where our true selves thrive - beyond the title and name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Tor16 - Google Innovator Academy BOUND!

Las Vegas Summit 2017

Google Innovator Academy - I Found My Tribe