Skip to main content

A Decade of Memories: Time for Change

I am sitting at my desk at Rundle College Junior High at the beginning of my final week of work here.  So many feelings are circling in my mind as I sit and watch my final homeroom complete their math exam.

About a month and a half ago, I sat down with my headmaster, Jason Rogers, and talked about wanting a change here at Rundle.  I had been asking for change for a few years now.  Not that I am ungrateful or unappreciative for the position I have, as I am and I love it.  Teaching Language Arts is great (minus the marking!), and my department is full of amazing educators, but over the last few years, as you have seen on this blog, I have been developing another side of my professional life.  I told Mr. Rogers that if there was nothing in the way of educational technology, in the capacity that I desired, then I would likely be asking for a leave, or to resign.  Currently, Rundle does not accommodate leaves of absence, so I resigned.  Handing over that letter of resignation was HUGE.  It meant giving up so much that was secure, and a huge part of my life.  For ten years I have "Bled burgundy and grey", and now I was going off into the "unknown".

I truly did have an unknown, as I thought I would try my hand at just being a consultant, but within a week of saying goodbye to one job, another opportunity presented itself.  Serendipitous?  Perhaps!

EdTechTeam Canada was looking for someone to do more admin type work for them, but it also carried with it more opportunity to speak at their events.  After an interview with three people I highly respect (Michelle, Jeffrey and Emily), I was offered the job.  Maybe it was because I didn't say my favourite chips were ketchup??  This job would present a new challenge and an exciting new future.

So, back to Rundle.  So many memories over the last decade.  I have been able to coach volleyball with some highly respected volleyball members of the Calgary community, and have coached many successful teams.  I am grateful to have won 7 championships, one silver medal finish and one bronze medal finish.  I am lucky to have learned so much from over 100 girls that I have coached.  I have learned in my professional role from many great educators and leaders.  My opportunity to travel with the grade 8s over several years provide me with memories I will treasure forever.  The Edgewater Fortune trip was one  got to take four times, and Cheakamus twice.  Band trips to Moose Jaw with the grade 7/8 bands, and ski trips in the early years are some of the awesome times I have had.

As I sit here and think about my time at this job ending, I am excited about my new job beginning, but I know that most of all what I will miss is the day-in-day-out routines and interactions with my students.  I am grateful to all my students for being with me, bearing with me and teaching me all about what it means to teach, to learn and to enjoy a job for ten years.

On to new horizons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Tor16 - Google Innovator Academy BOUND!

So this summer I had a goal.  I was going to apply to the Google Innovator Academy by the end of August.  As the deadline of August 30th got nearer, I still had one task to do to ensure I could apply - pass my Level 2 Google Educator test.

I scheduled my test for a cooler day on the weekend, so that I wouldn't miss out on any nice summer weather.  The day came and I had my husband take my kids out of the house so I could have peace and quiet in order to focus on my test.  He got them out for a solid 3 hours, perhaps it was even longer.  I was so nervous because I had taken the test blindly almost  a year ago, and didn't pass.  I then took it again this spring, but didn't pass - I scored a 78%.  Needing an 80% to pass, I knew I could do it, but got gun shy so put it off again.

Knowing the Innovator application deadline was at the end of August, it had to be done.  So there I sat alone in my home with my two laptops.  The test seemed to be going well.  When it came time to s…

Las Vegas Summit 2017

I just got back from another incredible Summit by the EdTechTeam.  I consider myself quite fortunate, and I am ever so grateful each time I get to work with the team of educators that +Michelle Armstrong brings in to work with her at these summits.  Michelle is the ultimate leader who has a penchant for making her team feel united, empowered, and awesome.  You just want to work hard for this woman and help her to produce the BEST SUMMIT EVER.  This time I presented 3 sessions, and the closing keynote.  My entire weekend was so amazing, but I have to say, I was consumed with thoughts of my keynote speech, so much so that my sessions may have suffered.  I apologize to all my attendees for that.  I do love what I do, but being a keynote in Vegas had me bound by thoughts of that final half hour.  Once it was over though, I was on that high of, "I just did that.  I did it.  I. DID. IT."  Version 2 was alright, and I know I have tons of room to grow, but I know I will gain valuabl…

On Becoming A Google Certified Trainer

This week a goal that I have been working towards for a few years now became a reality.  I was accepted into the Google for Education Certified Trainer's community.
Since I discovered and began using GSuite, I have been a huge believer in how they can change the landscape of teaching and a person's classroom.  It has certainly changed the way I teach, and it has changed the learning that takes place in my classroom.  In addition to improving the learning, my student's have empowered themselves through the massive organization that Google Drive and Google Classroom has allowed them to have.  Like I said, I am a HUGE believer in the products.
Not many people understand what it means to get certified by Google for Education.  I know that when I began getting certified and passing exams, nobody around me at work truly "got it".  "Oh, that's great!" they would say, but not truly understanding what a personal achievement it was for me.
When I was accepted…